Monday, April 6, 2009

NEAR TRAGEDY

This morning I was lying in bed, awake, between 4:30 a.m. and 5:00 a.m. I was well rested, having crawled into bed about 8:00 p.m. the night before. As I was lying in the dark, I suddenly heard dogs barking and voices screaming in the distance.


Then I heard Josh run down the hall, apparently to look through the window. He quickly bolted out of the house and I looked out my window to see the darkened sky lit up with fire about a block away. I had met some of the Moffit's neighbors over the previous couple of days and feared that one of their homes was on fire.


I was right.


I awakened Belinda, and told her what I saw. She looked out the window in the direction of the fire, shouted a neighbor's name, and then she also bolted out the door. Daisy and Ally awoke through all the commotion and we prayed together. Neo slept through the episode.


A while later, I looked out the window and saw Belinda returning to the house with someone silhouetted by her side as the sun began to rise. When she entered the house, she had Gigay with her and Gigay's little boy, Kim Kim.


Gigay's hair had been singed and her skin burned and blistered in a few places. Nothing serious. Kim Kim had singed hair only and no burns. His mother had cradled him and carried him through the door of their home, which was already engulfed in flames when they tried to escape.


A physician from Germany happened to be nearby and came to the house to evaluate Gigay and Kim Kim and to administer some burn ointment to Gigay.


Josh then returned and reported that there were no further injuries and the house had been spared. Only a small portion near the kitchen and doors had been burned and will probably be easily repaired.


Daisy, Ally and I were glad that God chose to say "Yes" to our prayer.






Gigay's house, as seen from the road, a couple of hours after the fire. The missions buildings can be seen in the background.




Gigay's house from another angle, walking to the left from the previous photo. A crowd had gathered to the left of the house to check out the fire damage.






The side of the house which was partially damaged by the fire.





A closer view.





Fire damage can be seen around and above the door.



5 comments:

BETHANY said...

Yikes!

Chris said...

It's totally amazing that the whole house wasn't gone; God was truly watching out for that little family! I can totally empathize with them, since we've had the same thing happen to us...

Debra said...

Incredible! So glad the Lord answered your prayers.

Ashley said...

What a scary experience! Do they know what started the fire?

perkyguy said...

Ashley - The fire started from having gasoline stored in the kitchen. Big mistake. Big lesson learned.