Thursday, April 9, 2009

LITTLE BLOND ENGLISH TEACHER

Isabel is a teenage girl living in the neighborhood. Ally tells me that Isabel speaks a little English, but she wants to learn it better. So, Ally and Isabel read children's stories together and Ally helps Isabel with some of the words.

Today, they were reading a book called "The Twit". I heard Isabel ask Ally, "What's Twit?" Ally shrugged her shoulders, looked at me and asked, "Papa, what does twit mean?" I didn't have a dictionary definition at the tip of my lips at that moment, so I said, "It's someone who's kind of a nuisance or pest." I might have been wrong, but that's all I could think of.

Then Isabel and Ally took turns reading "The Twit" together. After a while, they finished the book and, hopefully, Isabel improved her English speaking skills. At least she probably improved her skill at using the word "twit" correctly in everyday, normal conversation.








No comments: