Friday, December 19, 2008

WHITE ELEPHANT GIFTS

The place where I work has an annual tradition of gathering together at lunchtime for a Christmas party. About a dozen of us work together. The highlight of this event is always the “white elephant” gift exchange. Each of us brings a piece of junk from home. Sometimes we bring something fairly nice and usable. Sometimes we bring something new.

Our Christmas party was yesterday and my white elephant gift this year was something new: A baseball cap with a built-in headlamp.



I often wear hats, but I never wear baseball caps. They just don’t provide enough protection to my ears from the vicious attacks of all those ultraviolet rays launched against me from the sun. So, I usually wear a hat that protects both my nose and my ears.

I have a particular hat I always wear when I work in the yard.




I have another hat I wear outdoors when I’m not working in the yard.




When I hang out around water during the summer, I wear a different kind of hat.




And I have a different color hang-around-the-water hat, depending on which hang-around-the-water hat best complements my hang-around-the-water ensemble.




At Christmas, I don’t worry too much about protection from the sun.




Interestingly, I will going to another white elephant Christmas party on Christmas day. I am totally in the dark as far as what to bring. Hey! Wait a minute! The light just came on in my mind!

I know exactly what I’ll bring.





4 comments:

BETHANY said...

Nice hat! I'm sure someone at your next gift exchange will love it.

Speaking of loving things, the boys really like the backdrop of your photo shoot. :)

BETHANY said...

From Devon-

Why isn't there a stocking for Nana?

perkyguy said...

Devon-

Nana and Papa are filling in for Santa this year and Santa never has a stocking. Santa is the one who puts stuff in the stockings.

The Moffits said...

Papa,
You're outdoor hats are really cool. I like your fishing hats too. The baseball cap that you got for your white elephant gift party was really cool too. I hope I get a hat like that some day. The white, short fishing hat is the funniest.

Daisy