Friday, May 1, 2009

TRADITION CANCELLED

Each year I drive to Beaverton with my rototiller and I plow the soil in Tim's and Bethany's vegetable garden. I've done it all three years since they moved there. It has become an annual tradition. This year, the fourth year, I had to cancel.

Since Katie quit her job at work, we have been unable to find a replacement for her. We had one candidate accept the position, then change her mind at the last minute. Consequently, the two radiation therapists that are remaining, Cindy and I, will not be able to take a day off work until we get another body on board.

I am disappointed that I had to cancel, but I fully expect the tradition to continue next year.





Last year, in May 2008, I hauled my rototiller and my bicycle to Beaverton.


After arriving in Beaverton, Silas and Devon helped me to start the engine.



Devon helped me till the soil.




Silas also helped.





I found one other person willing to help.





We had to stop occasionally to remove branches from the tines.



After finishing the rototilling project, three of us ventured into the neighborhood for a bicycle ride.




The previous year, 2007, I also headed to Beaverton with my rototiller and was assisted by Silas and Devon.




Silas helped by pulling weeds.




Devon helped by shoveling dirt.





Part of the annual tradition includes eating out at Chuck E. Cheese's and playing all the exciting games they have.






Devon is all concentration on the race track at Chuck E. Cheese's.





Silas tries on my hat.




Devon takes his turn at modeling.





After tilling the garden, Silas and I made some tomato cages out of PVC pipe.




On my first rototilling trip, in 2006, I hauled my rototiller along with two picnic tables and accompanying benches.






Silas helped claw the dirt.





Devon helped shovel the dirt.







Ben was there that year and helped with the tilling.




Hunter helped by keeping us company.





Silas and I built cement umbrella stands for the umbrellas that came with the picnic tables.



4 comments:

BETHANY said...

I hate it when traditions get broken. However, I'm thinking that the fact my eyes are blazing red with huge bags under them, Naomi's been coughing for a week, Silas is breathing like an asthmatic, and Devon has major snot may be proof that this was the perfect year to have a glitch in our plans. Oh ... and Peter rented a tiller, then let Tim borrow it last night!

grammie of 5 said...

Bruce just imagine next year how much help the boys will be. I cAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT YOU HAUL IN YOUR TRUCK NEXT..

BETHANY said...

To bad you cud not cum this year to til the garden and go to chuk e chese we wood hav had a good time weth you. like haw we did 3 years ago.
Silas

tracy said...

The 2006 trip was fun! I am glad I had the chance to join.