Saturday, October 4, 2008

A PERFECT WAY TO START THE DAY

Eight days ago I picked up Josh from the airport. While we were enjoying our fine dining experience together at Subway, Josh handed me a gift. It was a small gift wrapped in a small plastic bag. It was coffee. But it wasn’t just plain old ordinary coffee. It was coffee grown and ground by the local folks in his current hometown of Cagayan De Oro on the island of Mindanao. Maybe it was grinded by them. I’m not sure. Grinded or ground. Either way, they crushed it up into tiny little particles so that it mixes well with water to make a drinkable cup of coffee.

Now, I’ve had some pretty tasty coffee in my life. I’ve sipped French Roast, Kona, Sumatra, Colombian, Arabica and Italian Roast. I’ve even had the privilege from time to time to savor a cup of Folgers. But the stuff Josh gave me is perhaps the tastiest stuff I’ve ever allowed to warm my tender palate. It’s Mmmm, Mmmm, good! It’s even more Mmmm, Mmmm, good than Campbell’s Soup! And that is saying a lot!

So this morning, for only the third time since last weekend, I indulged in another cup of coffee from Cagayan De Oro. First, I retrieved the little bag from its hiding place deep in a kitchen cupboard. Then I carefully measured a scoop, just the right amount (You may notice as I am scooping the coffee, just how well my injured thumbnail is healing). Then I placed that scoop in the filter of a single-cup coffee maker. Then I added water. Then I placed my very favorite, custom-made, birthday-gift-from-Debra, made-in-2004 coffee mug under the filter. Then I pressed the “on” button.

Once the coffee maker quit dripping, I gently carried the full mug to a comfortable recliner, kicked up my feet, and sipped. And then I sipped some more. Finally, I sipped one last time. Then it was all gone. Ahhh! What a perfect way to start the day!

But, unfortunately, I can’t spend the entire day sitting back and sipping coffee. Debra and Ashley are attending a ladies retreat with some other females from church this weekend, leaving me alone, and I have a very busy day today while they are gone. I still need to spend some quality time sitting in the hot tub. I still have a movie I need to watch. I still need to prepare my bed for my upcoming afternoon nap. I’m exhausted just thinking about all I need to do today.

Maybe I need another cup of coffee.

2 comments:

BETHANY said...

I want your day. Well, minus the coffee. I hate coffee. But the rest of your day sounds glorious.

The Moffits said...

Actually, your coffee is from a remote village three hours from the city of Cagayan De Oro - which, I think - makes it even more special. Grown and ground (grinded) by indigenous people...and hand delivered by your wonderful son in law. Yeah, I agree....way better than 'folgers in your cup'!