Friday, September 26, 2008

JOSH’S TWO FAVORITE RESTAURANTS

I learned during the summer of 2001 that Josh had two favorite restaurants in the whole wide world. That particular summer, the two of us drove a U-Haul together from Oregon to Michigan where the young, mission-preparing Moffits (only three of them back in those days) were headed for the next phase of their training at New Tribes Bible Institute.

That drive took several days, mostly non-stop, with each of us taking turns grabbing the steering wheel from the driver seat and then sleeping in the passenger seat. Along the way, we were fortunate enough to eat, not at one, but at both of Josh’s two favorite restaurants in the whole wide world.

This week, Josh arrived in the United States to visit an uncle who is ill. After he spent fourteen hours with the Weathersbys in Beaverton, I had the good fortune of being able to pick him up at the Medford airport. This was my second trip to the airport in less than ten hours.

Before Josh left the Philippines, he made me promise him something. He made me promise that I would take him to one of his two favorite restaurants in the whole wide world after I picked him up at the airport. His two favorite restaurants in the whole wide world do not exist in the mountains of Mindanao. But they do exist in Medford.

So, out of compassion for a son-in-law who has been too long deprived of his two favorite restaurants in the whole wide world, I made the promise. I promised Josh that I would take him to lunch at one of his two favorite restaurants in the whole wide world.

And I kept that promise.

Today we had lunch at Subway.






9 comments:

BETHANY said...

What a good FIL you are! I'm sure Josh will be eternally grateful.

The Moffits said...

He's got a good SIL and a good FIL. There's is nowhere in the world Josh would rather be than anywhere he can be stuffing a subway sandwhich into his mouth! I can actually see the endorphines popping!

The Moffits said...

what's the second favorite??

perkyguy said...

Good question.

I intentionally left that information out of the narrative to see if anyone would be curious enough to ask.

Take a guess.

BETHANY said...

Spaghetti Factory?

In N' Out

Anonymous said...

This is bothering me because I know I've heard it before and can't remember!

Pizza Hut?

BETHANY said...

Oh, I think Ashley is right.

perkyguy said...

Ashley is right.

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo! :)