Friday, September 26, 2008

BACHIN' IT

bachin’ (pronounced: batch'-un) verb \ abbreviated form of the word bacheloring 1. to play the role of a bachelor 2. to behave in a way consistent with one whose wife has abandoned him for the weekend.





This weekend I am bachin’ it.

Debra and I awoke at 3:30 a.m. this morning, left the house at 5:00 a.m. to pick up her mother, then arrived at the airport at about 5:30 a.m. where the two ladies exited the car with luggage in hand and boarded a plane for Ontario, California, with the ultimate destination of Rancho Cucamonga. They will be attending a memorial service and gathering with family members who have not been seen for many years.




Furthermore, Ashley has started orientation at college and will be on campus at Southern Oregon University all day today and tomorrow.

So, this weekend I am bachin’ it.

But that’s okay.

A couple of mornings ago, as I was burning some calories on our elliptical exerciser in front of a TV, I watched a documentary on Southern Oregon Public Television about filmmaking in the 1970’s, during the post Vietnam era. The program showed several movie clips, one being a scene from Dirty Harry. Everyone I know in my age group has seen Dirty Harry. I have not.

So, I thought to myself, “Hey, I think I’ll rent Dirty Harry and watch it while I’m bachin’ it this weekend!”

“Better yet”, I thought to myself, “I’ll see if perhaps there is some small chance it might be on TV this weekend”, thus saving myself a dollar at the video store.

Miracle of all miracles! Dirty Harry is being shown this weekend on TV!

Not only that, but one of the cable channels is showing a Dirty Harry MARATHON, including Dirty Harry and all its dirty sequels: Dirty Harry (1971), Magnum Force (1973), The Enforcer (1976), Sudden Impact (1983) and The Dead Pool (1988). The marathon begins shortly after noon on Saturday and ends at about 11:00 p.m.

That’s nearly eleven blissful hours of continuous television viewing during my weekend of bachin’ it!

Do you want to criticize me and judge me for wasting too much time in front of the TV this weekend? Go ahead. Make my day.

1 comment:

BETHANY said...

It's great to have a weekend to yourself every once in a while. Enjoy!