Friday, October 17, 2008

I BELIEVE IN SKYPE

Three days ago I sent an email to Belinda regarding a future visit to the Philippines, some specific arrival and departure dates, and some of the travel details involved. Apparently, we had been thinking of totally different visit dates. So within a period of about ten minutes Belinda shot me four separate email messages. They had a tone of urgency about them.

She expressed that she thought I was coming on a different date than I mentioned. She asked me to get on Yahoo Messenger so we could chat. But I had already uninstalled Yahoo Messenger because “chatting” really means “typing” and I am not all that fast at typing. I get frustrated when I’m typing an answer to a question and the person I’m “chatting” with is already asking me three or four additional questions. I just can’t keep up. So I uninstalled the program.

Then Belinda said that I “really need to get Skype.” She said they are on it all day and we could talk free whenever we want. So, I submitted to her wisdom, downloaded Skype, and within minutes we were talking to each other using our real voices! None of this typing stuff.

It was the first time I had heard Belinda’s voice in over two years!
.
Not only that, but they had a web cam hooked up to their computer, so I could see her, I could see Ally, I could see all the blank spaces in Ally’s mouth where her teeth used to be, I could see out their window at their neighbor’s house, I could see their beautiful mountainous horizon, and I could see some guy on a ladder working on their ceiling. Josh was out of the house, Daisy was downstairs in school, and Neo was taking a nap, so I couldn’t see them.

So yesterday I went to the store and bought myself a web cam. I thought it would be a good idea for them to see how quickly I am aging. That way they won’t go into shock when they see me at the Cagayan De Oro airport in a few months.

Now we can talk with each other and watch each other growing old whenever we want.

I believe in Skype.


The first time I used Skype was right after I downloaded it three days ago. I didn’t have a web cam at the time, but I had a headset.



Yesterday I bought a web cam and called again less than an hour ago. It was 4:30 p.m. here on Friday and it was 7:30 a.m. there on Saturday. I took this photo of my laptop screen with Daisy coaching Neo to say “Papa”. He did quite well. Daisy is a good coach.


Daisy held the microphone for Neo.


Before I hung up, Ally got out of bed and joined the conversation.

3 comments:

The Moffits said...

I know, it's the best!! So good to see your young face and hear your voice!!

BETHANY said...

I know skype is cool, but at this point in my life I generally prefer the silent communication of yahoo. Plus, I can IM while I'm in and out of the room doing other stuff, but have to be sitting at the computer to skype. So, skype is like dessert for me, but yahoo is my main source of communication nutrition. :)

Anonymous said...

This totally made me tear up!! How awesome! Thanks for sharing Bruce...I know now my mom will DEFINITELY get Skype! And a webcam for that matter! DANI