Sunday, August 30, 2009

F#m TEACHES A LESSON ABOUT GOD

Yesterday I attended a worship workshop and posted a report about it. After the workshop, I returned home and looked over the list of fourteen songs we practiced together as a group. Then I attempted to learn one of those pesty bar chords that I have been avoiding for the past thirty-eight years or so since I first picked up a guitar.

The bar chord I needed to learn was F#m. I needed to learn that chord in order to play the song, "Mighty To Save". That particular song contains four guitar chords: D, A, E and F#m. I already knew the first three chords. Easy. The fourth one would be a tough one. But I tried. And I tried again. And I got frustrated. I got frustrated to the point where I put down my guitar and took a break at the computer.

I noticed that someone had left a comment on my newly posted item about the worship workshop. I clicked "1 comments" at the end of the posting to see who left this comment. It was Belinda. She left a very thoughtful and encouraging reply. This is what she wrote:

I am going to write this quote down and stick it on my wall 'I am learning a technical skill with spiritual help for a spiritual effect'. BEAUTIFUL. That quote will be such an encouragement to missionaries struggling to learn a new language!

As I read Belinda's words, I thought to myself, "Uh-oh. I just told the whole planet via the world wide web that I needed spiritual help and that I will be praying and asking God to help me learn these new chords. Instead, I'm stressing over these chords and, to be honest, I flat out forgot to ask God for help."

After chastising myself, I paused, I asked God to help me attain this new level of skill, I picked up my guitar again and I began playing, or trying to play, "Mighty To Save".

The help was there.

The transitions between chords are still awkward, but I can play the chord and I am improving.

I am a self-admitted "forget-to-pray" guy. I know the Bible exhorts us to pray. I know God responds to the petitions of his people. I know I have personal access to come boldly before the throne of grace.

But I just forget.

I'll be working on this one.




"Mighty To Save" is just one of many great songs we were given in our workshop yesterday. I took notes on F#m, but got frustrated when I got home. Then I remembered to pray.

In addition to taking notes, the Internet has tons of websites with chord charts. I found one showing F#m and the picture confirmed that my notes showed how to play the chord correctly.




I've never really tried stretching my fingers this far to reach a chord, and up until now I've never attempted to learn bar chords, but F#m is now coming to me.


3 comments:

BETHANY said...

Awesome!!

grammie of 5 said...

A great lesson and a beautiful song to learn.

The Moffits said...

cool how cyclical encouragement can be!