Saturday, June 6, 2009

REMEMBERING GENE DEAN

Today, Debra and I drove to Gasquet to attend the memorial service for Gene Dean. The service was upbeat, as I knew it would be, with Gene's son and my friend, John, officiating the service. It was a great gathering with shared stories, laughter and food. I got to reconnect with John, Karey, all four of their kids, and I got to introduce Debra to friends from my past.

During the service, several people stood up and shared stories about Gene. As one lady spoke, I turned to Debra and said "That's Bethany's kindergarten teacher". After the service, we visited with several friends, grabbed some food, then returned home, stopping for a Dutch Mocha along the way.

John reminded us early in the service, "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints" (Psalm 116:15). Before the service ended, John assured the congregation that his family was doing well and that the three emotions they have been experiencing through his dad's passing have been grief, joy and envy.




John had the privilege of officiating the memorial service for his own father, Gene.



A memorial display in the foyer of the church showed Gene in earlier days.




I got to reconnect with some of my all time best friends, John and Karey, and I got to introduce them to Debra.




All four of Gene's grandchildren were able to attend the service, including the oldest, Caleb.





1 comment:

BETHANY said...

I'm glad you were able to go to the service.