Friday, July 3, 2009

THIRD OF JULY HOLIDAY

Today is the third of July. The department where I work is closed for the day in celebration of the fourth of July. I was hoping the department would also be closed on the sixth of July in celebration of the seventh of July, but that is not going to happen.

Instead of going to work today, I celebrated the third of July by hanging the stars and stripes above our garage. I also trimmed the hedges, mowed and fertilized the lawn, went to Walmart with Debra, purchased two Dutch Freezes at Dutch Brothers on the way home from Walmart, then noticed upon arriving home that the needles on both outside thermometers were flirting with number 100.



Proud Americans up and down our street displayed their flags on this third of July holiday.


Barely after 4:30 p.m., the heat hovered at a hundred degrees in two separate places in our backyard.


I am among those who believe it is safer for a post-middle-aged man to jump from his roof into a pool than to jump from an airplane with a parachute.




Almost there.



Ouch! Now I remember what a spanking feels like.




Pool buddies.

Guy with camera and girl in pool.


12 comments:

grammie of 5 said...

I can't believe you jumped off the roof into the pool. That can't be the first time you had to much style. I'd say for the spank landing you should get a 9 at least. I would have given you a 10 but your left baby toe was curled up. Oh happy 3rd of July.

BETHANY said...

You jumped off your roof? Seriously? Are you having a mid-life crisis?

I think the pics with you in Debra's glasses are cool. :)

perkyguy said...

Kathy & Bethany - I did not jump off the roof and I am too old for a mid-life crisis.

grammie of 5 said...

Whew, glad to hear you didn't jump from the roof but how did you get such a high jump, from the side of the pool? Do you have a little round trampoline? Springs in your feet?

The Moffits said...

Happy third! While you were (not) jumping off your roof into your pool, I was celebrating the 4th over here with a trip to the creek with the ladies in my Bible study group. It felt like a typical 4th of July....until my lunch of rice and the tail half of a piece of fish.

BETHANY said...

Ok, something's fishy. Notice all the water on the side of the pool in the first jumping pic? Notice it's not there in the second jumpin pic? Hmmm ...

BETHANY said...

And the water is back in the third. Shadows in the first and second pic. What did you jump from?

perkyguy said...

Kathy - No little round trampoline. No springs in my feet. Just bulging, rippling muscles throughout my thighs and calves.

Belinda - I'm sorry they deprived you of the head half of the fish.

Bethany - That IS fishy.

grammie of 5 said...

I think someone may be using there photoshop skills.

BETHANY said...

Clouds are the same in all three jumping pics. I'm guessing this series was shot a few times, with the best poses from each shot put together into this series.

perkyguy said...

Okay all you detectives -

I do not use photoshop and I do not have photoshop skills.

I also have a seven-year-old camera that does not have the capability of shooting a series of photos in rapid succession.

I jumped from the edge of the pool three separate times. Debra took one shot for each jump.

The first jump is shown as the second photo, thus no water on the patio.

The second jump is shown as the third photo.

The third and final jump is shown first.

Now, if you would excuse me, I need to go find my parachute.

Anonymous said...

Shawna at 8:44am July 4
I love the pool jumping pictures...your facial expressions are priceless...and I love the title of the last pic...awww!
Comment on the 100 degrees....californians always thinking it is raining in oregon even in the summer...I wish my california friends could see your thermos!