Tuesday, December 27, 2011

CHRISTMAS NOTES (Part 9 of 15)

COPING WITH SUB-FREEZING WEATHER

The weather outside was frightful on Christmas day. When I stepped into the back yard with five of our grandchildren, the thermometer stood at 29 degrees Fahrenheit.

Each of the six of us had different ways to cope with the cold.



Silas, Devon, Neo and Ally brave the weather by submerging themselves in 102-degree water.




Naomi eventually joined the hot tub crowd while I played the part of a lifeguard in a down jacket and a knit cap.




As my hands began to freeze, I tried to cover them with my jacket. Eventually, I put on gloves.





Ally stepped into the pool which, interestingly, was 2 degrees below freezing, yet not frozen.





Devon also stepped into the frigid waters and eventually won an endurance contest among the five hot-tubbers. They all got out of the hot tub to see who could endure the cold air the longest before getting back into the warm spa. Devon won the contest by standing beside the hot tub for over 12 minutes before climbing back into the tub.