Thursday, May 20, 2010

MAKING A MOVIE FOR CANCER PATIENTS


A few months ago, the staff where I work thought it might be helpful for new patients if we put together a video presentation to acquaint them with the process of radiation therapy from the time they first enter our clinic until they complete their entire course of treatment.


I agreed to take on the project.


I created a sixteen minute video which I presented to the staff. It was basically a rough draft. Strengths and weaknesses of the video were discussed and suggestions for improving the final product were offered.


Part of the presentation involves showing the patient what it looks like when the cancer treatment machine, a linear accelerator, rotates around them during treatment. Yesterday, between the two Cindy's I work with, one agreed to play the part of a patient and she lied down on the treatment table. I attached my camera to a tripod and began filming. The other Cindy found another camera and took a couple of photos of me taking the video shots.


For part of the video, I knelt on the floor to capture a worms-eye view of the rotation of the machine.





Click the play tab below to see what a rotating linear accelerator looks like from this angle.






I also stood on a counter to capture a birds-eye view of another part of the rotation of the machine.






Click the play tab below to see what a rotating linear accelerator looks like from this angle.






Additional editing is still in the future as I venture toward completion of this video project, but the final product is nearly done.


No comments: