Sunday, March 7, 2010

PAVER PATIO ADJUSTMENT

Two years ago I extended a 3-foot deck into a 7-foot deck using 12" x 12" red pavers. After building a cement mowing strip, which also functioned as a frame for the pavers, I filled that framed space with sand, screeded it and tamped it down before installing the pavers.

I was satisfied with the final product, but over the past couple of years the pavers nearest the original 3-foot deck have settled, leaving about a 1-inch drop from the cement deck to the pavers.

Most people haven't even noticed it, but I have. And it has really bugged me. So, I decided to remove all the pavers, add more sand, screed and tamp the sand, then reinstall the pavers. That's how I spent most of today. I almost completed the project, but I ran out of sand.

I'll pick up a couple more bags of sand and probably finish the job next weekend. But already the patio doesn't bug me anymore.



The pavers nearest the cement deck sunk about an inch since they were installed two years ago.


A view closer to ground level shows the drop more clearly.




This is what has been bugging me.






The 2x4 spans the space between the cement deck and the mowing strip, showing how the pavers have settled over time.


Out come the pavers.



Almost all the pavers have been removed.



Time for a break before adding sand and replacing the pavers.



Adding sand to raise the level of the pavers.




I built a screed board for leveling the sand that supports the pavers. The 4x4 post is longer, spanning the distance between the mowing strip and the cement deck. The 2x4 is shorter, dropping into that space for screeding (or scraping).



The screeding begins.



After screeding, I use a tamping tool to pack the sand before reinstalling the pavers.



Adding sand, screeding, tamping, installing pavers, adding sand, screeding, tamping, installing pavers.



This is as far as I got today before running out of sand.



No more 1-inch drop and I'm not bugged anymore, but my back hurts.



No comments: