Monday, March 16, 2009

FROM 184 TO 169 IN ONE MONTH

On Valentine's Day Eve, about a month ago, Debra and I decided to dress up and go out. We never dress up. The last time we dressed up was over two years ago for a Christmas party hosted by my employer. At that time, I put on my one and only really nice sport coat, a pair of slacks, and a pair of shiny black leather shoes with leather soles and we attended the party. When the party ended, we returned home where I hung up my coat and slacks and put my shoes in the back of the closet. They haven't been touched since.


Then, on the day before Valentine's Day, I took the coat, slacks and shoes from the closet and put them on. Well, I tried to put them on. The coat and shoes fit just fine. But I could not get the slacks snapped. The two ends of the snap would not come together. It surprised me that a pair of slacks could shrink simply by hanging in a closet for two years.


I had no choice but to put on another pair of slacks with a larger waist.


I made up my mind right then and there to get back into that first pair of pants as soon as possible. And I was well aware what that task would require. I knew something that most people either do not know or do not want to admit: You don't lose weight by exercising but by eating less food.


And I also realized that there is a difference between "being" hungry and "feeling" hungry. Most of us say "I'm hungry" when we merely "feel" hungry. And most of us are not willing to spend some quality time feeling hungry and denying self. Consequently, we are not willing to do what it takes to shed a few unnecessary pounds which have attached themselves to our bony frames through a shortage of self-control and a surplus of comfort food.


So, I started eating smaller portions and eliminating evening snacks. I continued to spend about 30 minutes a day on our elliptical exerciser but, as mentioned earlier, you don't lose weight by exercising. You lose weight by eating less food.


On Valentine's Day I weighed 184 pounds. Today I weigh 169. I think I'll stay here for a while.
.
.

Shiny black leather shoes with leather soles

.

.

My one and only really nice sport coat

.

.

As happy as I look in this picture from Valentine's Day Eve, I would have looked a whole lot happier if I didn't have to wear the slacks with the larger waist.

.

.