Saturday, November 15, 2008

NGO HI LO FAHN, NGOM MENG BAH TONG WAH

Today, Debra and I attended a Thanksgiving Dinner for our church group. I was asked a few days ago to be the speaker at the event.

When asked if I would be the speaker, the above sentence almost immediately came to my mind. “Gno hi lo fahn, ngom meng bah tong wah.”

Translation:

“I’m a white guy, I don’t understand Chinese”.

So, today I shared my story:

During the summer between my junior and senior year in college, I took a summer school class in public speaking. While taking that class, I met a friend who invited me to church. My new friend was Chinese. The church was also Chinese.

The night I first visited Chinese Grace Bible Church in Sacramento, a guest evangelist spoke about a guy named Nicodemus. After he finished his sermon, he had the audience bow their heads and close their eyes while he asked for a show of hands: “Is there anyone in this room who does not know for sure that he would spend eternity in heaven if he were to die tonight?”

I was not even persuaded such a place existed. So, I certainly could not be sure I was going there.

My hand went up.

Before I left that building that evening, I had talked to the evangelist, to another college student and to the pastor. And, going against my strong sense of agnosticism, I had also agreed to read the Gospel of John three times and to pray to a god who might or might not exist and to ask him, if he were real, to somehow show me.

I read. I prayed. He showed me.

Within the next few days, several “coincidental” things occurred. First, I heard a speech from a fellow student in that college public speaking class. That speech made me doubt everything I had ever believed about the theory of evolution. Then two ladies knocked at my door and gave me some literature that supported everything the evangelist had said. Then a guy picked me up at a freeway entrance where I stood waiting with an upturned thumb hoping to hitch a ride to my parent’s house a few miles away.

I stepped into his car, saw a sign on the dash proclaiming “Jesus is Lord”, then heard the first words coming out of his mouth in the form of a question: “Do you believe in the Lord?” It puzzled me that I answered “Yes”. We talked together for about twenty minutes before he dropped me off in my parent’s driveway. When I stepped from his car, I stood on the driveway and watched him pull away. That’s when it hit me! In answer to my skeptical prayers, He had shown me.

I was a believer!
.
I continued with that church for several years. Often, when I would call friends in the church, their non-English-speaking parents would answer the phone. Eventually, I learned to tell them, "Gno hi lo fahn, gnom meng bah tong wah."


During our Thanksgiving Dinner event today, Debra chats with Barbara and Jill, Richard chats with Fred, and I hide behind my camera.




Debra shoots a photo of Jack while someone else sneaks into the camera’s field of view.



I was the speaker.



The “fifty-five-and-still-alive” group led the singing.




My spiritual roots began at Chinese Grace Bible Church. Here I’m serving as a counselor at a church camp at Mt. Hope.



Another church camp at Mt. Hope. This time I was camp director.




Another year, another camp.



Another year, another camp.



Eventually, color film was developed.

4 comments:

Chris said...

Bruce, I never knew this about you! I guess I've not ever heard your testimony -- missed that somewhere along the way.... Guess I just (wrongly) assumed you'd been a Christian "forever".

The Moffits said...

I LOVE this testimony. I love that the Word of God (namely John) can change hearts, because it's powerful! No matter how much we may blunder our way through weak attempts at evangelism...God's Word is still powerful!

The Moffits said...

I just looked at this again, and I think a better last phrase would've been...."And eventually, glasses that automatically tint in the sun were invented". :)

Gary said...

Bruce, i remember those many years at Chinese Bible Mission....and remember our special fellowship. I'm pleased He is in your heart. however, I'm a little concerned that you look older now, than your camp director days. :) agape, gary fong